Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Love

Love
Lately this topic has been on my mind.  One-because I know of 3 differing examples and 2-because of this craft I saw called the "I love you because" board.

The examples of love are 1- a middle aged couple who are currently not living together but still speak and go places as if they are together.  The are not in the same house because the husband was offended by in-laws "overtaking" his home during the holidays and his mild mannered wife didn't speak up, so he kicked her out.  There is a type of love here.
2-a young couple, who were high school sweethearts, with multiple kids, getting a divorce because he "hasn't loved her for a while now."  There was love here but it stopped somewhere.
3-an older couple who no longer have kids in the house but seem to be still dating and as much in love now as in the beginning of their marriage.  This to me is a rekindled love.
At one point "love" may have been in all 3 marriages.  But what I have learned about love is that it's forgiving, unselfish, understanding, is a continuously changing picture (i.e. what you love them for today may not be the same reason you love them tomorrow), is something that you can't take for granted and is something that doesn't fade away but stops growing.

The "I love you because" board got me thinking about the reasons that I love my husband and at first I felt like I was drawing a blank (very sad I know).  Then I thought of some of the trivial things that are at most temporary reasons to love a person.  But finally deeper, more meaningful, heartfelt things were coming to mind. 
Needless to say that with the "love because" reasons going through my mind and the relationship examples I am seeing around me right now, I have learned somethings about love.  Things that I hope will only make my marriage stronger, deeper, and more true.

I once heard an analogy that Love/marriage is not the two of you rowing the same boat together, but that you are in two separate boats trying to stay next to each other and on the same path.  If one person is working harder then they will find themselves gaining distance between the 2 boats and if you are not trying to be involved in what is going on with the other person (interested in or at least supportive of their interests/hobbies that may not be ones you care for personally) you will soon find separation between your 2 boats.

I see everyday how children tend to be the focus of my conversations with my husband, especially since he is obligated with privacy codes at work and church so he can't discuss much of what is seen/done.  Life seems to revolve around them...as it should for most moments, but there still needs to be couple time and moments where we can discuss about the new things that we are learning, have time to share in growing experiences and be involved in how the other is changing.

Our ultimate example of Love is the Savior and Heavenly Father and that needs to also be a large part of our lives.

This blog is my thoughts and ideas that I hope will not only help my marriage/family/life as I "journal" them, but give others insight into that someone else is experiencing/learning the same things they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment