Tuesday, February 1, 2011

How do you do stains?

I had someone ask me how I get stains out.  So I thought this would be a good post topic and anyone could offer some advise on how to get stains out. 

How I get food stains out:
1-Spray N Wash.  But I don't just spray and walk away, I scrub after spraying usually with and old medium bristle tooth brush.  If it is a tougher stain I will scrub hard with my finger nail.
2-If it is a stain that looks set in after the scrub or just a tough stain, I use a soak of Oxy Clean.  My soak is 1/2 cup powder Oxy Clean to a half gallon (I use an old ice cream bucket) of water.  Then I soak for at least 2 hours.  If it is a stain that got fully washed and did not come out (thus it was put in the dryer) I have been know to leave the article of clothing in the Oxy clean soak for several days.
3-I try to check the stain before drying it but it doesn't always happen.

For pen and marker stains (I have even got permanent marker out this way)
1-Wet the area
2-Spray with hair spray then scrub.  Repeat if necessary.
3-Depending on how it looks at that point I may use Spray N Wash but not always.

I should treat when the stain occurs, but I usually don't...especially with the kids clothes.  I usually just treat before washing.  With the Oxy Clean soak, I don't usually combine colors and whites, and in order to soak for the few hours needed I wash the color that is soaking last on my laundry day or of the 4 or 5 loads I have to wash.

This is not a fail safe stain treat-er but it works for me...most of the time :)
Happy Stain Fighting!

No comments:

Post a Comment